No doubt that any baby product must be designed for the comfort but, alongside, a child needs safety and visually enticing designs to feel pampered.
Cribs are not exceptions and must be chosen wisely. It is just a waste of time and money if you bet on any baby crib out there while ignoring the essentials.
Before selecting one, make sure it is designed to accommodate a baby’s habits. I reveal the core features of the best baby cribs with the top rated brand reviews:
- Stability so as it provides a firm base while the infant plays or you change his/her dressings.
- Convertible design so as the same can be used as a full-sized bed, day bed or a toddler bed.
- Ventilated design. There must be a minimum of 2 inches of the space between any two rail-bars.
- A perfect frame size, so the mattress fits snug within the crib. A shaking bed can lead the baby to discomfort and injuries.
- The mattress should be in a layered design so that you can add or remove the layers to adjust the height as the baby ages.
- A compact size makes one as the best baby cribs for small space. It’s easier to store and maintain them.
So far you understood what to look for in a crib. Additionally, Make Sure It Doesn’t Have Navigate through content
Top 10 Baby Cribs: Babyheed picks
Navigate through content
1. DaVinci Kalani 4-in-1 Convertible Crib with Toddler Rail
Kalani presents best convertible baby cribs. It is a modular design, and you can turn it into different designs such as a crib itself, a typical bed and a full sitting chair.
The skeleton is built with solid pine woods providing the crib with great strength. The crib provides a safe and secure haven for babies as its finishes are non-toxic and anti-allergic.
The design and espresso color of the crib is highly stylish, and its gentle curves minimize the injury incidents to the null. The quality claims of the product are backed up by numerous satisfied parents. Additionally, a four-layer mattress is provided with the crib.
- Burly with stunning design.
- Easy to assemble into different shapes.
- Meets all Safety standards set by ASTM.
- JPMA and GreenGaurd certified.
- 4-in1 model with convertible rails.
- Lead and phthalate free polish that makes it toxic-free.
- 12 months limited warranty.
- Quickly gets scratches.
- The mattress is prone to indentation.
2. Delta Children Canton 4-in-1 Convertible Crib
Admired for its decent look owe to its cherry coating. The design is very much adorable and pleasing. It has a sleek headboard and curvy legs at the bottom. The crib is versatile and can be converted into a toddler bed, full-size bed or a day bed.
The product passes all the standard safety and manufacturing standards and is made with solid hardwoods providing a protective space for baby sleeping. I count it as one of the safest baby cribs.
- Solid and sturdy.
- Free from Lead.
- Non-toxic finishes.
- 4-in-1 crib design.
- Stands with all ASTM and JPMA standards.
- 12 months limited warranty.
- Wood plugs are not offered with the package to cover the screw heads.
- The hex wrench key is not compatible with most of the spots necessary for assembling.
3. Stork Craft Portofino 4-in-1 Fixed Side Convertible Crib
Stork Craft Portofino is a full-sized crib bed that can be transformed into a daybed, full-size bed or a toddler bed.
Its design is so sleighed and smoothed that it acts as an impeccable masterpiece for the babies. Three storage drawers at the side of the crib are spacy enough to place the dressings.
The crib is constructed with solid woods, and its finishes are non-toxic. The product comes with fixed sides and a stationary changer with an extra-deep surface to provide protection and stability while dressing the baby.
- Sturdy and lustrous design.
- Dashing espresso color.
- 4-in-1 versatile crib bed.
- Waterproof mattress.
- Passes all standard manufacturing and safety tests.
- Adjustable 3-positioned mattress bases.
- Detachable changing table.
- One year limited warranty.
- Small space for changing pads.
- Pieces are not labeled that makes assembling a bit challenging.
4. DaVinci Jenny Lind 3-in-1 Convertible Crib
Davinci Jenny Lind is a 3-in-one convertible crib that has surpassed all the safety standards. Its lovely white color and subtle detailing present it as a quite charming design to the baby. It’s not a polished product but a painted one.
I must mention that it’s made of unique New-Zealand pine wood that makes it sturdy and durable. Moreover, it’s comparatively much affordable.
- Convertible structure
- Have wheels for easy shifting
- Built with non-toxic materials
- Strong and Secured
- Comes with amiable white color
- Free part replacements for 12 months
- Springs of the metal frame are not stationary making the mattress to tilt.
- No lock attached with wheels to make the crib stable.
5. Dream On Me Violet 7 in 1 Convertible LifeStyle Crib
Dream On Me is designed keeping the comfort and safety as a top priority. The crib is a 7-In-1 design that can be converted into a toddler bed, day bed, twin bed (2-setups), and full bed (2 setups).
Constructed with pine woods, it’s a long lasting product. Its curvy outlook makes it a visually pleasing structure. A quite affordable product with tons of features.
- 7-in-1 crib design.
- Robust and sturdy structure.
- Four-layer mattress support base.
- Easy assembling.
- Beautiful wavy outlook.
- Warped hex screws that need special tools to operate.
- Spreads strong chemical smell.
6. Union 2-in-1 Convertible Crib
The union crib comes with a stunning lagoon design. It has fixed side rails and modish staple. It can be converted into full-size or a day bed which makes it one of the best baby cribs.
It is constructed with sustainable pinewood that makes it strong and sturdy. As far as visual appearance is concerned, it has a classic look.
- Light-weight and durable.
- Made with non-toxic finishes.
- Safe and secure.
- Supports standard size crib mattress.
- JPMA ASTM certified.
- Easily got scratches.
- Flaking paints and short railings.
7. Delta Children Portable Mini Crib
It is a 3-in-1 portable mini foldable crib suitable for small apartments or rooms. It holds 35 percent less space as compared to a full-size crib. It can be used as a bassinet or a changer as it has a waterproof mattress inside.
The structure is built with strong hardwood with gorgeous finishing. It meets outs all standard testing’s and is safe from any toxins or phthalate.
- Foldable crib for easy storing.
- Includes hooded caster wheels for easy moving.
- Adjustable 2-positioned mattress support.
- Comes with 1-inch thick waterproof mattress.
- Poor cardboard construction at the bottom.
- Strong chemical smell.
8. Stork Craft Sheffield Fixed Side Convertible Crib
Sheffield crib from Stork Craft is a convertible crib that can be transformed into a full-size bed. It has a beautiful Grey color and fine non-toxic finishes. It is made with solid woods and has a long lifespan.
Its delicate linings make it look too elegant and pleasing one. I must say, Stork Craft has done a fair job for launching an affordable yet valuable baby crib product.
- 2-in-1 convertible crib.
- Fabulous grayish outlook.
- Sturdy structure.
- One-year warranty.
- Adjustable mattress support base.
- Peeling paints.
- Poor parts placement.
- Horrible chemical smell for a few days.
9. Dream On Me 2 in 1 Portable Folding Stationary Side Crib
The product is a 2-in-1 convertible crib with fixed rails on both the sides. It has a stylish white color and elegant design that boasts of being a non-toxic one.
It can be folded through hinges built inside the crib. The solid pine wood is used for its manufacturing making it sturdy for the babies.
- Has a unique foldable design.
- Easy to carry.
- Provides extra safety due to its fixed side rails.
- Can be changed into a playpen.
- Comes with 1 inches of the mattress pad.
- Based upon US Patented Railing System.
- Poor mattress support.
- Improper accessory marking makes the assembling procedure quite difficult.
10. Delta Children Emery 4-in-1 Crib
The Emery crib is a 4-in-1 product. Sorry, it won’t help the big babies as it’s sized for the infants only. It has a slightly curved headboard and airy planks. It can be converted into a toddler bed, daybed or a full-size bed.
Withstand, all the security and manufacturing standards. The quality is backed up by an extensive list of happy customers.
- Provides stability and durability.
- Has stylish white designing.
- Sturdy wood construction.
- Meets all ASTM safety standards.
- Easy to assemble.
- Comes with Adjustable height.
- Flimsy rails.
Types of Cribs
There are mainly seven types of baby cribs available the market. Let me describe each of them briefly so you can decide which one suits your baby the best:
Standard Baby Crib
The standard baby crib is a genuine crib that comes with four fixed sides and slats to provide your child a safe home. But don’t think the word ‘Standard’ means a fixed structure crib. They come in many different designs being the structure remains same.
- Lacks modern crib facilities
Portable cribs are spacious, light-weighted and sturdy. They can be packed up for storage and carrying. They are sturdy and come with many extra facilities like bassinet inserters, clips and changing tables, and wheels. They can be used as the playpen for children providing a safe environment.
- Easy to carry
- Good for small rooms or houses
- Wheel Breaks require the regular check.
Eco Baby Crib
Also known as ‘Organic Cribs,’ are the eco-friendly featuring clean and modern design. These cribs are made with top-quality recyclable materials, sustainable hardwoods and non-toxic, water-based paints and finishes, offering a sterile and safe sleeping environment to the infant.
- Safe and sturdy
The travel and portable crib are almost the same. The significant difference between the both is that the portable cribs come with playpen and extra facilities like bassinet inserters while travel cribs are not. Additionally, Portable cribs come in both small and large sizes and are sturdier whereas travel cribs are small, unstable and lighter.
- Less Spacious
- Not much Sturdy
Multi-purpose cribs are those that offers the spacious environment to the infant and enclosing the majority of belongings in its unique structure. Such cribs come with extra facilities like- attached dressers, under-crib storages like drawers, changing tables, cupboards and much more. That why it named as multipurpose Crib.
- All-in-one furniture
- Easy to set-up
- Too Large
Such cribs are made with such a perfection that they can be transformed into toddler beds, day bed or adult beds as the child grows single or twin-size beds. It’s a worthwhile investment which can be used for years and saves both time and money of the parents.
- Built with modern designs
- Adjustable as per the requirements
- May wear out on later stages.
Round Baby Crib
All above discussed cribs come in rectangular or somewhat square shape. But this crib is constructed in circular or oval shape. The good thing is that some round cribs can be converted into toddlers, junior beds, morph or bassinets. In rectangular or square-shaped cribs, baby can hurt himself due to the protruding sharp corner edges, but a round-shape crib offers a safe bed for infants to sleep and play.
- Space Saver
- Provides canopy
- Unusual look lacks modern decor
What to Consider While Buying Best Baby Cribs: Major Features
Here I have suggested the major features (in addition to the bullet points I mentioned earlier) that you must take into account while buying the best baby crib for your baby:
Just like safe bunk bed for toddlers, and other baby beds, baby cribs vary in prices according to the specialties differ in them. So, if your budget is high, you can afford high price cribs then you should purchase eco-friendly or multipurpose cribs. If your budget is average, then you should buy convertible or portable cribs. And if you can afford the low price, then you should buy standard cribs which are not as bad as they name. Besides, it’s not compulsory that higher the price better the crib will be. You can have an excellent crib in just a low price too.
Secondly, you should note whether the crib you buy acts as a space saver or a space holder. People with small rooms or small houses must consider this factor. A crib must be the space saver. So, people with small rooms or homes must go for round-shaped, portable or travel cribs as they can be stored when not required. And if you have much spacious rooms and houses, you can go for multi-purpose or convertible cribs.
Thirdly, the adjustable bed is the important factor. Cribs also come with beds that can be adjusted to adjust its height from the top of the railings. For a newborn baby, it’s good to change the mattress high for easy pick up and place the baby for sleep. And when the baby starts sitting and standing, lower the mattress so to prevent the child from pulling out of the crib. So, before buying make sure whether this feature is available or not.
Fourthly, ensure that crib has teething rails. A time comes when your baby grows enough to stand; you will notice the crib rails sit next to baby’s mouth. When babies start teething, at that moment, they start teething the rails. They chew the wooden rails which can lead to their mouth full of splinters, wood, and paint that he can swallow harming their selves. That’s why teething rails act as a cover or protection between the baby’s mouth and the crib.
Safety Concerns: What to Look Out For
- Make sure that the space between each bar o the crib should not be more than 23/8 inches as the figure more than this can lead your baby head stuck in the bars.
- If the crib has the drop rails, then you should not buy that one as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Cribs with bumper pads should not be purchased as they only result in suffocation, and entrapment and your baby may use them as a base to climb out of the crib.
- The height of the crib rails must be 26 inches measured from the top of the mattress.
- While placing the crib in the room, make sure it is away from windows and direct sunlight as it may discomfort the baby and he/she can be pulled out of the crib and may fall from the window.
- Keep large toys and other items out of the crib as the baby can use them to pull out the railings.
Baby Crib FAQ
When do you need a crib?
Mostly, the need of the crib occurs at the time your baby is 3-4 months. Until then, the bassinet is suitable for a newborn child. The need of the crib remains till your child reaches the age between 2.5 and 3. After that, the baby becomes big enough, and a need arises to switch the child from crib to bed.
What is a drop side crib?
The drop side crib is a crib which comes with the sliding sides which can be lowered to access the baby easily. Means the parents do not have to reach over as far to pick the child. It can be single drop-side crib or double-drop side crib.
Are drop side cribs illegal to use?
As per the new federal safety standards, the use of drop-side rail cribs is prohibited as they are not safe from children. Since 2000, there were nearly 32 infants and toddlers died as their head got stuck between the drop-side rails, and the crib mattresses resulting in suffocation and strangulation. So, drop-side cribs are banned and considered as ‘Deadly Cribs.’
Your baby deserves to have the best, and it’s not an easy task to compare and select out of the overwhelming range out there in the market. For your ease, I have already brought the best baby cribs under this one list. Just pick any of them and your baby will be pleased. Hope that helped.